Tater tots have become a favorite accidentally vegan comfort food. In Dustin Harder’s super-easy cheesy burger tater tots, they become the base for favorite cheeseburger flavors — 100% vegan, of course.
Here’s what Dustin has to say: “Tater tots are a classic favorite for everyone, with their crisp and crunchy outsides and pillows of warm potato in the middle.
I squeal with delight every time a restaurant offers tots as a potato option. Okay, maybe not squeal, but I do get excited. So why not top some tots with nostalgic flavors everyone loves—like the flavors of a cheeseburger! Just pop it on a sheet pan and you have dinner or an appetizer to wow friends and family in thirty minutes.” Here are more vegan recipes for using tater tots.
Recipe is from Epic Vegan Quick and Easy: Simple One-Pot and One Pan Plant-Based Recipes by Dustin Harder ©2021, Fair Winds Press, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group. Photo by Ashley Madden. Reprinted by permission.
More about Epic Vegan Quick and Easy
Accessible. Affordable. Delicious. These three words are at the heart of Epic Vegan Quick and Easy, a cookbook of simple one-pot and one-pan meals perfect for anyone who wants to dive into plant-based cooking.
Veteran author and creator of The Vegan Roadie series, Dustin Harder serves as your guide to all things vegan, showing you how to use straightforward ingredients and techniques to make every meal epic. Epic Vegan Quick and Easy tells you how to create your own masterpieces by adding exciting flavors and textures, stacking layers upon layers of ooey-gooey goodness, and putting variety at your fingertips.
No matter where you are on your food journey, the collection of epic recipes in this book will serve as your road map to enjoying flavor-packed, plant-based cooking. Vegetarian, vegan, flexitarian, occasionally meatless—all are welcome here!
- 4 cups (half of a 32-ounce bag) frozen tater tots
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup frozen vegan beef-style ground or crumbled vegan sausage
- ½ cup roughly chopped white onion
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- ¾ cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Spread the tater tots out on the prepared sheet pan and sprinkle with Old Bay Seasoning (if using). Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, and flip the tater tots with a spatula.
- Position the tater tots close together so they are touching to minimize the toppings falling through to the sheet pan.
- Top the tater tots with vegan beef-style ground or sausage, onion, tomatoes, relish, and cheese. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the tater tots have turned golden brown.
- Drizzle tater tots with mustard and ketchup and sprinkle with chopped scallions (if using).
Dustin Harder is the host and creator of the original series, The Vegan Roadie. A graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City, he is a vegan chef, cooking instructor and works in culinary development for restaurants and various food brands.
Dustin has been seen on The Food Network and appeared in various publications such as Eating Well, VegNews, Vegan Lifestyle Magazine, Chowhound, Vegetarian Times, and Paste Magazine. He is the author of The Simply Vegan Cookbook featured by Forbes as one of the “Best Vegan Cookbooks,” Epic Vegan named one of the “Best Vegan Books of 2019” by Eat This, Not That, and Epic Vegan Quick and Easy. Visit him at VeganRoadie.com.
If you like this recipe from Epic Vegan Quick-and-Easy,
you might also enjoy …
*These are Bookshop Affiliate and Amazon Affiliate links. If a product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!