You won’t believe how easy it is to make these unbaked vegan chocolate brownies, rich with nuts and sweetened with dates.
There’s no need for added sugar, and these treats are flourless, gluten-free, and altogether rich and yummy.
There’s no need to blather on and on here. Just make these chocolate treats; you won’t regret it! Recipe adapted from Plant Power by Nava Atlas.
A Word About Chocolate
A few years ago, the media burst forth with reports of studies claiming that chocolate in its pure form is actually good for you. Chocolate’s caffeine-like components contribute to quick energy bursts, perfect for athletic and intellectual effort.
It’s encouraging to learn about the virtues of chocolate, but still wise to be choosy about what kind you consume. Dairy-free dark chocolate is the way to go, whether in bars for snacking on, or for chips or cocoa powder (or raw cacao) for baked or unbaked treats.
It’s important to choose fair trade chocolate in any form. Many major chocolate companies will not confirm that they comply with fair trade laws. These protect against unethical growing and harvesting practices, child labor, and even child slave labor (which has been documented in Ivory Coast, a major exporter of cocoa). Pleasing your palate should not come at the cost of human suffering.
So please consider fair trade chocolate both for the chocolate chips and the cocoa powder in this recipe!
- 1 cup raw slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Place the almonds in the container of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until ground to a fine powder.
- Add the dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and half of the chocolate chips. Process until the mixture holds together as a mass—this will take a few minutes.
- Add the remaining chocolate chips and pulse on and off for about 30 seconds. Add the walnuts and pulse on and off for another 20 to 30 seconds, or until finely chopped but still visible in the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8 by 8-inch square pan. Press into the pan, using the back of a spatula to get it nice and even. Score the mixture into 12 squares. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Cover any leftovers and store in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 195Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
Photos: Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com
If you like these unbaked chocolate brownies, you might also enjoy …