Tofu eggless salad has the look and feel of egg salad, though it’s not intended to fool anyone! Whether as an egg salad knock-off or not, it’s delicious in its own right.
Serve open face or closed on fresh bread or in a pita. Shredded lettuce, green sprouts, or baby greens make it that much better. You can also skip the bread altogether and dollop it on a green salad — or serve in a large romaine leaf.
I prefer having this for lunch, but there’s no reason why it can’t be dinner — it’s easy and fast, and as a sandwich, it goes well with any vegetable-filled soup. Try it with Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup.
- 14-ounce tub firm tofu (see note)
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced, or several chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, or a pinch of dried dill
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional (but highly recommended)
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (see note)
- Slice the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot well on paper towels or clean tea towels. Or, if you have a tofu press, use it a little ahead of time. Place the tofu in a mixing bowl and mash well with a large fork or potato masher — or simply crumble with clean hands.
- Add the celery, scallion, and dill.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, and optional nutritional yeast and mix well.
- Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the tofu mixture, stir well to combine, and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once as suggested in the headnote, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
You can also use a 12.3-ounce container of extra-firm silken tofu, in which you don't need to press or blot.
If you can get hold of kala namak (Himalayan black salt, which is actually pink), use it instead of regular salt. It adds an eggy flavor and aroma to the preparation.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 167Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.