Squash or pumpkin and mango join forces for a deliciously different kind of beverage. Mellow and creamy tasting, this smoothie is a perfect cool-weather blended drink.
Choices, choices: My first choice is in the squash vs pumpkin decisions is always butternut squash, but sugar pumpkin works well, too, as does acorn and other hard winter squashes.
If you’re starting from scratch, see How to Cut Butternut Squash (and Other Hard Squashes) … If you want to keep it super easy, canned pumpkin is good too — organic seems to have better flavor.
A perfectly ripe mango (frozen mango is fine, too), orange juice, your favorite plant-based milk, and for extra creaminess, a splash of plant-based creamer. Just toss everything into a blender and enjoy!
- 1 cup coarsely mashed cooked pumpkin or winter squash (butternut, acorn, etc.), or canned pumpkin
- 1 medium mango, diced (or 1 cup frozen diced, thawed)
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup plain or vanilla plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup plant-based creamer (like oat or almond creamer)
- 3 to 4 ice cubes, optional
- Pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients except the garnishes in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Divide between 4 tumblers. Garnish with a sprinkling of cinnamon and optional pumpkin seeds.
- Drink at once; or cover any unused portions and refrigerate, as this smoothie keeps well for a day or two.
If you like this squash-based smoothie, you might also enjoy …
Here are more delicious vegan beverages.