Skillet black beans and sweet potatoes embellished with corn tortillas is a hearty vegan main dish for families that enjoy lively south-of-the-border flavors. Optional toppings of vegan cheese and cilantro add a major yum factor.
If you have your sweet potatoes cooked ahead of time — either microwaved or baked — this dish comes together in a flash. With either method, make sure to cook until just done and still quite firm so that they don’t become mushy in the dish.
Complete the meal: Serve with a simple tossed salad. or slaw. Add sautéed zucchini and/or summer squash if you’d like more vegetables with the meal. If you’re feeding a hungry crew, make this dish even heartier, by serving over hot cooked rice or other grain like quinoa.
By the way, the skillet you see in these photos is a mini, holding one serving. If you have something similar, or even festive small bowls, feel free to play with the presentation of this tasty dish.
Here are lots more delectable vegan sweet potato recipes.
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Skillet Black Beans with Sweet Potatoes and Tortillas
Skillet black beans with sweet potatoes, embellished with tortillas, makes a hearty vegan main dish for families that enjoy lively south-of-the-border flavors.
- 4 medium or 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can mild diced green chiles
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (try fire-roasted)
- 3 cups cooked or two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into short, narrow strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Vegan cheddar or pepper jack cheese shreds
- Cilantro leaves
- Microwave the potatoes and/or sweet potatoes until nearly done, but still quite firm. Or if you prefer, bake them ahead of time. Either way, this will make them easier to peel and cut. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into large dice. Set aside until needed.
- Heat the oil in and large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and bell pepper and sauté over medium heat until the onion is golden.
- Add the jalapeños, tomatoes, black beans, cumin, and chili powder. Gently stir in the sweet potato dice. Heat until the mixture starts to bubble, then turn the heat down and simmer gently for 10 minutes, covered.
- Stir in the lime juice and tortillas. Cook over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve at once. Pass around vegan cheese shreds and/or cilantro for topping if desired.
Variation: This is good with golden potatoes as well. Use the same amount — about 1 1/2 pounds — and the same technique for preparing them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 12gSugar: 11gProtein: 11g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this hearty black bean dish, you might also enjoy …
Vegan Black Beans with Sofrito
Tasty and Versatile Black Bean Recipes
- Here are more hearty casseroles & skillets and vegan main dishes.
- And lots more vegan Tex-Mex recipes your family will love.
Leave a Reply