Made with rice-shaped pasta, this orzo salad is studded with black beans and corn and flavored with salsa. It’s easy to make and even easier to eat.
I always forget about orzo, don’t you? This tiny pasta is fantastic in salads like this one as well as in soups and pilafs. Salsa gives this salad nearly all the flavor it needs to shine. Use your favorite variety, from mild to medium.
Complete the meal: This pairs well with Spinach or Arugula Scrambled Tofu. Embellish the plates with sliced avocados and oranges. Or, serve with Easy Vegan Quesadillas that don’t themselves contain corn.
This orzo salad recipe is adapted from Vegan Express by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky (BittersweetBlog.com) originally ran on VegKitchen.com.
- 1 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, any color, finely diced
- 1 cup salsa, your favorite variety, or a bit more if desired
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced, optional
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon good chili powder or ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the orzo in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente. Just before it’s completely done, add the corn to the water and cook for a minute or so longer. Drain and rinse until cool, then drain well again.
- While the orzo and corn are cooking, combine the remaining ingredients in a serving container. Add the cooked orzo and corn and toss together. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 280mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this Southwestern-flavored pasta salad, you might also enjoy …
Here are more easy vegan salads & sides.