Simple to make, this marinated corn salad is as colorful as it is tasty. Ideal to make with fresh summer corn, it’s also good with frozen corn when not in season. This relish-like salad, with the refreshing additions of cucumbers, radishes, and herbs, goes with many kinds of meals.
When I first made this kind of corn salad recipe, I was inspired by the Pennsylvania Dutch-style corn relish salad known as one of the “seven sweets and seven sours.” I’ve also seen this relish-like salad referred to as “Amish Corn Salad.” Whatever you’d like to call it, this is an easy and colorful side dish to serve with:
- Vegan burgers
- Vegan sausage dishes
- Side-by-side with potato salad or pasta salads
- Grilled vegetables and plant proteins
Perfect for outdoor meals and picnics, the marinade (basically a vinaigrette) keeps this salad tasting fresh for hours. If you’d like to pair this with another salad, I’d recommend Really Simple Vegan Potato Salad or Pasta Salad with Broccoli & Cherry Tomatoes.
Explore dozens of fresh corn recipes for summer and fall.
Marinated Corn Salad with Radishes and Cucumbers
Simple to make, this marinated corn salad is as colorful as it is tasty. Ideal to make with fresh summer corn, it’s also good with frozen corn when not in season.
- 4 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (from 5 medium ears) or thawed frozen corn
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered lengthwise, seeds trimmed away, and sliced
- 1 medium firm, ripe tomato, diced
- 6 to 8 red radishes, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Other fresh herbs of your choice, optional (see note)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- If using fresh corn, scrape the kernels off the cob. Steam the fresh or frozen (thawed) kernels in a saucepan with a little water until just tender, then drain into a colander. Run under cool water immediately until the corn is at room temperature. Allow to drain thoroughly.
- Combine the corn with the radishes, cucumber, tomato, and herbs in a serving bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well blended. Pour over the corn mixture and toss well.
- Cover the salad and allow to marinate, refrigerated, for at least a couple of hours, or up to a day (this salad can be made ahead of time). Stir occasionally to distribute the dressing. If you find that the dressing has pooled at the bottom of the bowl, drain off before serving.
A small amount of fresh basil or tarragon work well in this salad.
If you like this corn salad, you might also enjoy …
Corn and Edamame Succotash Salad
Here are more veg-centric salads & sides.
Photos at top: Bhofack22/ Bigstock
Leave a Reply