Italian pasta and bean soup, or pasta e fagioli, is a classic Italian soup that’s a cousin to minestrone, and one that’s “accidentally vegan.”
This hearty main dish soup is a welcome warm-up on a chilly day. Any short shape of pasta will do — use up what’s in your pantry. I like to make it with penne, shells, or twists, depending on what’s on hand.
Serve with a crusty bread and a simple salad, or a platter of raw vegetables with an easy dip such as Avocado, Tahini, and Spinach Dip. Recipe adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups water
- 2 heaping cups (uncooked) pasta, any small shape (like ditalini)
- Two 15-ounce cans cannellini or pink beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked beans
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, or fresh oregano leaves as desired
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and celery and continue to sauté until all are golden.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, bouillon cubes, seasoning, and water. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions in a separate saucepan until al dente, then drain. Add it to the soup along with the beans. Simmer gently for 5 minutes longer.
- Adjust the consistency with a little more water if the soup is too crowded. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 636mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 16gSugar: 13gProtein: 15g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this Italian-style soup, you might also enjoy …
See lots more vegan soups & stews.