A pleasing combination of two of summer’s favorite bumper crops, this fresh corn and tomato salad is a perfect accompaniment to grilled vegetables and plant proteins. It’s also a nice side-by side dish with other cool seasonal dishes like pasta and potato salads.
Featuring simple ingredients, the fine dice makes it a relish-style salad that goes with just about anything. While it’s possible to make this with frozen corn (thawed and steamed), it’s not nearly as good as using fresh corn kernels, stripped off the cob. It’s a bit more work, but worth it in season!
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 4 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (from 5 medium ears)
- 4 small or 2 medium firm, flavorful ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blended.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl.Pour over the salad and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once, or cover and let stand 30 minutes or so to allow the flavors to blend.
How to strip corn kernels off the cob: Break the corn cobs in half. Stand each half on its flat end; then strip the kernels off the cob using a downward motion with a small, sharp knife.
- Here are more easy vegan recipes and salads & sides
- More vegan summer salads that are almost too pretty to eat!