A Tex-Mex-themed meal wouldn’t be complete without guacamole. This creamy guacamole gets its yum factor from vegan mayonnaise.
Flavored with lime, red onion, and jalapeño, serve the classic dip with chips or use it in other recipes. It can be dolloped into wraps or burritos and used as a topping for vegan quesadillas.
Guacamole is best used right away. Even a day in the fridge compromises its flavor and color, so make it when you have plenty of enthusiastic eaters.
Here are recipes on this site that call for guacamole:
- 2 medium or medium-large perfectly ripe avocados
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime or lemon, to taste
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced, divided
- Leaves from a few sprigs fresh cilantro, or a few basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 jalapeño peppers (see Note)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove the pit from the avocados and scoop the flesh into a shallow bowl. Mash as well as you can with a fork (or, If you’d like an extra-smooth texture, process the avocados and the ingredients in steps 2 and 3, except for the reserved onion and jalapeño, in a food processor).
- Stir in the lime juice, scallion, optional garlic, vegan mayo, half of the red onion, cilantro, and cumin. Stir together until completely blended.
- Chop one of the jalapeños finely and add it to the avocado mixture. Slice the other and save it for garnish.
- Add a pinch of salt and a grinding of pepper, then transfer to a shallow serving bowl. Garnish the top with the remaining red onion and jalapeño and serve right away.
If you like this easy guacamole, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy vegan appetizers & snacks.