Rolling these melt-in-your-mouth wonders in toasted coconut isn’t absolutely necessary, but it creates a nice visual effect. Bet you can’t eat just one of these super-easy-to-make vegan coconut bites, filled with the fruity goodness of fresh mango and banana!
Recipe and photos from Bravo Express! No Sugar, Oil, or Salt by Chef Ramses Bravo ©2019 Book Publishing Company, reprinted by permission.
- 2 cups diced mango
- 2 ripe bananas, diced
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut, toasted (see Note)
- Put the mango, bananas, pineapple juice, and vanilla bean in a small pot and cook over medium-low heat for 6 minutes.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pot and discard the pod.
- Transfer the mango mixture to a food processor. Add the 4 cups of coconut and process until smooth and firm.
- Put the toasted coconut in a small bowl or on a plate.
- Using a small ice-cream scoop or a spoon, scoop out a small amount of the fruit-and-coconut mixture. Roll it into a 1-inch ball with your hands and then roll it in the toasted coconut. Repeat the process with the remaining mixture.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
To toast unsweetened shredded dried coconut, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 2 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, spread back into a single layer, and return to the oven until evenly toasted, 1–2 minutes longer. The whole process should take 3–4 minutes, but trust your eyes more than the time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
More about Chef Ramses Bravo
Ramses Bravo has guided hundreds of guests at TrueNorth Health Center toward better health by transforming their eating habits. Now home cooks can enjoy his tempting plant-based dishes with these simplified recipes that anyone can prepare, regardless of time constraints or cooking expertise.
His secret? Remove the three most addictive, pervasive, and damaging ingredients in modern diets—sugar, oil, and salt—and use herbs, spices, and creative culinary combinations to enhance fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. The results? Improved weight management, lower blood pressure, reduced mood swings, increased energy, and better control over type 2 diabetes.
Bravo Express! No Sugar, Oil, or Salt by Chef Ramses Bravo
is available on Amazon and wherever books are sold
The recipes in Bravo Express! deliver on the promise of appeal and satisfaction. Included are tips from the chef for how to bring out the best in foods without having to sweeten, salt, or fry. Add a wow factor to your dishes by learning how to brown vegetables without fat, make silky dressings and sauces without oil, and use fruits and nuts to create spectacular desserts.
The section on cooking fundamentals will help make food prep a snap, and with two weeks of sample menus, it will be easy to plan what’s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Ramses Bravo has been the executive chef at TrueNorth Health Center in Santa Rosa, California, since 2007. His recipes feature simple foods with bold flavors that serve as the foundation of dietary rebirth for people who want to transform their health. Visit ChefRamses.com.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!