If you’re looking for a delicious way to put some spring in your step in the morning, this cinnamon-topped vegan oat milk latte might just do the trick.
The brown sugar gives this latte a perfectly smooth sweetness, and a pinch of cinnamon takes the drink up a notch.
Oat milk is a fast-growing vegan milk option. It’s one of the newcomers that has been gaining popularity in coffee shops across the country and around the globe. It has a natural sweetness to it, like other plant-based milks including almond and coconut, as well as a rich, creamy texture.
You can save a pretty penny by making your own oat milk at home —see some links to recipes for homemade oat milk and oat creamers in this post.
The process is quite easy and the result is tasty. Oats and water are all the ingredients you need. Once you’ve whipped up a batch of oat milk, you can store it in your fridge and use it for other delicious treats like this latte. Of course, feel free to use purchased oat milk if you don’t want to make your own.
Traditionally, a latte is made with espresso with steamed milk, but don’t fret if you don’t have an espresso maker. You can substitute strong brewed coffee and your step will be just as springy!
This recipe makes one latte; simply multiply as needed for additional servings. Here are the basic steps:
First, pull your shot of espresso into a mug.
Add brown sugar and stir until melted.
Steam the milk. If you don’t have a steamer, you can warm the oat milk on the stovetop. Be sure to stir often and remove from heat just as it begins to simmer, as you don’t want to scorch it.
Froth with a milk frother; if you don’t have one, transfer the warmed oat milk to a tightly secured mason jar and give it a good shake until it foams!
Once the oat milk is warmed and frothed you can pour it over your sweetened espresso. Sprinkle on some cinnamon and enjoy!
- Double shot of espresso or ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar, to taste
- 1 cup oat milk
- Generous pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pull a double shot of espresso into a mug.
- Add brown sugar and stir until melted.
- Steam the oat milk. If you don’t have a steamer you can warm it on the stovetop. Be sure to stir often and remove from heat just as it begins to simmer, as you don't want to scorch it.
- Froth with a milk frother; if you don’t have one, transfer the warmed oat milk to a tightly secured mason jar and give it a good shake until it foams!
- Once milk is warmed and frothed you can pour it over your sweetened espresso.
- Sprinkle on some cinnamon and enjoy!
Contributed by Chiara Carroll. Chiara is the chief recipe creator at Roasty Coffee. When she’s not creating caffeinated concoctions, she’s spending time with her amazing husband and kids in their home state of Virginia.
You might also enjoy …
See more recipes for easy, all-natural beverages.