Vegan vegetable lasagna without noodles fills you up with eggplant, zucchini, and spinach, not carbs!
It’s easy to make lasagna using just the vegetables themselves, very thinly sliced, to create the layers. Making it vegan and cheese-free is also not a difficult feat to accomplish using tofu and nutritional yeast.
This recipe is from Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook, a book filled with easy recipes using recognizable ingredients by Dianne Wenz. This is what Dianne has to say about the lasagna:
“Lasagna has always been my favorite meal. This healthy vegetable version is made using eggplant and zucchini instead of noodles. Eggplant and zucchini tend to be very watery, so salting them is necessary to remove some of the moisture. Salting also softens the vegetables, helping them to cook quicker.
I’ve skipped the salting step in the past, only to find that my zucchini and eggplant were still firm and almost raw, despite being baked in the lasagna for half an hour.”
Recipe is reprinted from Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook: 90 Whole-Food Recipes with Deliciously Simple Ingredients by Dianne Wenz. Published by Rockridge Press, © 2019 by Callisto Media. All rights reserved. Photography © 2019 by Antonis Achilleos. Reprinted by permission.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants, ends trimmed, sliced lengthwise, 1/8-inch to ¼-inch thick
- 4 medium-sized zucchinis, ends trimmed, sliced lengthwise, ¼-inch thick
- Sea salt
- 14-ounce package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- Lay the zucchini and eggplant slices onto cooling racks or towels and sprinkle them with salt.
- Let them sit for 20 minutes. Pat the slices dry with a towel, flip them over, and sprinkle them with salt again. Let them sit for another 20 minutes. Rinse the pieces and then pat them dry.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and have a 9-x13-inch casserole or baking dish ready.
- Blend the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, basil, and sea salt together in a food processor until it’s thick and looks like ricotta cheese.
- Add the spinach and pulse two or three times to incorporate it into the mixture. If you don’t have a food processor, coarsely chop the spinach. Mash the tofu mixture together with a potato masher or large fork until all of the large lumps are gone and fold the spinach into the mixture.
- Spoon a thin layer of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole or baking dish.
- Layer on a third of the eggplant and zucchini slices and top with half of the tofu ricotta and 1∕3 of the tomato sauce. Repeat with another layer of eggplant and zucchini slices, tofu ricotta, and tomato sauce.
- Top with the remaining eggplant and zucchini, and tomato sauce.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the sauce is hot and bubbly. Let the lasagna sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook by Dianne Wenz is available on Amazon* and wherever books are sold
More about Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook
There are vegan cookbooks and then there are truly healthy vegan cookbooks.
The perfect vegan diet is the monumental ambition of most vegan cookbooks. The problem is that there are so many vegan foods loaded with processed sugars, white flour, and unhealthy fats, and not many vegan cookbooks that address this issue.
Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook is for anyone looking to remove these questionable ingredients and enhance their already animal-friendly diet and lifestyle.
Beginning with the top 10 most common vegan diet mistakes, Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook delivers recipes like Piña Colada Green Smoothies or Crispy Artichoke Tacos.
The recipes are filled with diverse flavors, all within a familiar range of ingredients. And don’t worry ― an occasional comfort-food indulgence is encouraged. The goal is to get away from using processed foods as a regular part of your daily menu.
. . . . . . . . . .
*This is an Amazon Affiliate link. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!