With a wealth of good fats and carbs, avocado toast makes a great breakfast or lunch (or dinner with soup). And though it may not be the hot food trend it was a few years ago, it’s here to stay. Cucumber and kimchi avocado toast teams up a set of tasty ingredients that will send you straight to sandwich heaven!
The contrast between smooth, mellow avocado and mildly spicy fermented kimchi is amazing. With the addition of cucumber and a sprinkling of sesame seeds and/or scallion, this just might become your go-to way to enjoy avocado toast.
The Basic Avocado Spread
You’ll be starting with a basic avocado spread, best made with an avocado that’s neither overripe nor underripe, and is easy to mash. You never know what you’ll get, but ideally, the avocado you cut open for this recipe is free of bruised or stringy spots in the flesh. If there are minor bruises or strings, cut them away.
Once you’ve mashed the avocado on a roomy plate, you’ll be stirring in a little each of vegan mayo, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and pepper. One medium avocado should be enough for two large slices of bread.
Speaking of bread … you’ll want to use a sturdy whole grain variety or sourdough, and I’d recommend larger slices, the kind that you get from the center of a rounded loaf. Of course, if all you have is a loaf that yields the more square or rectangular-shaped slices, you can make that work, too.
What is kimchi?
In brief, kimchi is a fermented condiment based most often on cabbage and can include other vegetables. Think of kimchi as a spicier, slightly less briny form of sauerkraut.
The fermentation process involved in making kimchi results in a plethora of beneficial nutrients, especially probiotics, something sadly lacking in western diets. See more about kimchi, with a slew of recipes (including a link to a DIY recipe).
This recipe makes 2 servings of an open-face sandwich that’s surprisingly filling. The recipe doubles easily for larger appetites, or to serve 4.
Here are dozens more vegan avocado recipes.
Cucumber and Kimchi Avocado Toast
Cucumber and kimchi avocado toast teams up a set of tasty ingredients that will send you straight to sandwich heaven!
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large slices fresh bread (whole grain or sourdough are great!)
- Very thinly sliced cucumber, as needed
- 1/2 cup vegan kimchi
- Sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- Very thinly sliced scallion for garnish, optional
- Cut the avocado flesh into chunks. Place on a plate and mash with a fork. You can make it fairly smooth, or leave a bit of texture.
- Add the vegan mayo, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and pepper to the avocado and work into the mashed avocado using the same fork.
- Lightly toast your bread. Place the slices on separate plates (unless you plan to eat both of them).
- Divide the avocado mixture between the two bread slices and spread to the edges (if using smaller slices of bread, you might want to use a third slice).
- Arrange a few cucumber slices over the avocado mixture, then top each with 1/4 cup kimchi.
- If using, sprinkle some sesame seeds and/or scallion over the kimchi, and serve at once.
Can’t get enough avocado toast?
Here are more deliciously offbeat ways to make avocado toast
Explore an array of tasty vegan sandwiches & wraps.
All my life from childhood, sandwiches have been one of the best comfort food items for me.
Thanks for all these sandwich recipes, Nava!
You’re very welcome, as always, Carol!