Rice and chickpea salad with spinach and raisins is so easy to put together with an array of simple ingredients. A main dish or hearty side salad, it’s an ideal way to use up leftover cooked rice.
Use white or brown rice, as you prefer. You can also use another grain, as most of them will work in this salad — barley, farro, quinoa, or bulgur, freshly cooked or left over.
- Serve alongside an easy tofu dish like Simple Lemon-Pepper Tofu Steaks
- Side by side with another hearty salad like Barbecue-Flavored Tempeh Salad
- A veg-centric dish like Classic Roasted Root Vegetables (with lots of variations)
Dressing choices: My favorite dressing for this rice salad is sesame ginger. Use bottled by all means, though it’s easy to make our Sesame-Ginger Salad Dressing if you have the ingredients on hand.
Otherwise, use a good vinaigrette. Bottled is fine, once again, or follow this easy recipe for Basic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing.
Swap in arugula: Baby arugula works also works well in this salad in place of baby spinach. See more about this peppery leafy green in our Guide to Arugula.
Here are more easy and tasty chickpea recipes.
- 3 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach or arugula
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 cup sesame-ginger dressing or vinaigrette, or as needed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice, to taste
- Salt to taste (you may not need any depending on the dressing you use)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and stir together.
- Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend. See if you need a bit more dressing, then serve.
If you like this hearty rice salad, you may also enjoy …
If chickpea salads are your thing, you might like …